WHAT IS YOUR DESCRIPTION OF "A GOOD FRIEND?"
In my book, a good friend is someone that is loyal, trustworthy, compassionate, caring and honest. Does both listening and talking. Knows I don't always have perfect days and still loves me despite my faults. Encourages me to be my best. Accepts me for who I am. And is always there for me no matter what! Puts family first - always! Lives life with the cup half full and not half empty. Isn't afraid to tell me what's on their mind. If there's a problem, we resolve it and move on. Loves to laugh and have fun.
I grew up on the shy side so I think that plays a part in me choosing to rather have fewer good friends than tons of acquaintances. That doesn't mean I'm not up for meeting and having new friends. I enjoy meeting new people. I just notice that a "good friend" is sometimes hard to come by. Being a friend takes work just like everything else that is worth while. And I am truly thankful for all of my friends!
Here are some of my favorite quotes about friendship (sorry, I couldn't pick just one, but 17 IS my favorite number!) :
* A friend is a possession we earn, not a gift. ~Marvin J. Ashton
* We have stitched together, laughed together, shared our secrets and eased our burdens. This is friendship. ~Unknown
* Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else. ~Judy Garland
* Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind. ~Dr. Suess
That's What I Call A Friend
One whose grip is a little tighter,
One whose smile is a little brighter,
One whose deeds are a little whiter,
That's what I call a friend.
One who'll lend as quick as he'll borrow,
One who's the same today and tomorrow,
One who will share your joy - and sorrow,
That's what I call a friend.
One who's thoughts are a little cleaner,
One whose mind is a little keener,
One who avoids those things that are meaner,
That's what I call a friend.
One when you're gone will miss you sadly,
One who'll welcome you back again gladly,
One who, though angered, will not speak madly,
That's what I call a friend.
One who is always willing to aid you,
One whose advice has always paid you,
One who's defended when others flayed you,
That's what I call a friend.
One who's been fine when life seemed rotten,
One whose ideals you have not forgotten,
One who has given you more than he's gotten,
That's what I call a friend.
~John Burroughs
* Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. People come into our lives for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. Embrace all equally.
~Leo Buscaglia
* Cookies and friends ~ They come in all shapes, colors and sizes. Some are soft and sugar-coated. Some are snappy and full of ginger and some are just plain nutty. We can treat ourselves to many different kinds - and there is ALWAYS room for one more. ~Unknown
* A true friend knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you have forgotten how it goes. ~Unknown
* A good friend is a connection to life, a tie to the past, a road to the future, the key to sanity in a totally insane world. ~Lois Wyse
* Friends - they are kind to each other's hopes. They cherish each other's dreams.
~Henry David Thoreau
* Friends are those rare people who ask how we are and then wait to hear the answer.
~Ed Cunningham
* The best thing to give your friend is your heart. ~John Balfour
* She who pushes you closer to God, she is your friend. ~Unknown
The Making Of Friends
If nobody smiled and nobody cheered
and nobody helped us along,
If each, every minute, looked after himself
and good things all went to the strong,
If nobody cared just a little for you,
and nobody thought about me,
And we all stood alone in the battle of life,
What a dreary old life this would be!
Life is sweet because of the friends we have made
And the things which in common we share;
We want to live on, not because of ourselves,
But because of the people who care.
It's giving and doing for somebody else -
On that, all life's splendor depends,
And the joy of this world, when you've summed it all up,
Is found in the making of friends.
~Edgar A. Guest
* You meet many people in your life. But only true friends leave their footprints on your heart. ~Unknown
* Change your relationships by changing yourself. ~Unknown
* What made us friends in the long ago; when we first met,
I think I know; the best in me and the best in you;
Hailed each other because they knew;
That always and always since life began;
Our being friends was part of God's plan.
~Unknown







No comments:
Post a Comment