Thursday, April 26, 2012

Preschool in Germany

We received an email last week from the elementary school with good news! A little late into the school year, but still good news: Jocelyn was accepted into their preschool program! We signed her up last July before we moved here but she was placed on a wait list as the Army has first pick, kids in need also have first pick and they also go by rank. With John being an E6 at the time of sign-up, our chances of getting her in were slim to none. But we felt okay with that. She's a smart girl and I was determined to do things at home with her instead. (Especially when we also learned that she had to wait another year to go to Kindergarten because she turned five 2 weeks after the cut-off date. Hearing the news that she'd be going to school sooner than I had prepared or expected, the more I knew that this would be a better transition to her starting up Kindergarten in the Fall by starting the bus routine now. After John and I talked about her going to preschool with only 5 or so weeks left of the school year, we went and talked to Jocelyn about it. I told her about the preschool and she said no, that she didn't want to go. John suggested that she might change her mind if we throw in getting a new backpack and he was right! She was all about it as long as she got a new bag. :) She's so cute and such a typical little girl!

It's a long commute for a young child. About 45 minutes to an hour ONE WAY! It was a really hard thing for me to say yes too. The long commute alone scared me. Thankfully the guy at the bus yard knew the bus driver and said she was really good and that they've had the same bus service out here for the past 25 years with no problems.

So last Wednesday, I piled the kids into the car and we had a visit to see the school's registar. It's also that time of year for school registration for next school year. So I sat at a table and filled out preschool paperwork for this year along side with a pile of paperwork for next year. It felt long and tedious but the kids sat and colored and ate a snack and were generally good. I also promised them that if they were good, I would take them to lunch afterwards. A little bribery isn't so bad, right? :)

 As promised, we went to lunch. The kids have found a new love to Popeyes macaroni and cheese. It's a rare treat - and it's no Chickfila but they enjoy it almost just as much! These two are just the cutest little buddies!!
 Before I took the kids to get their teeth cleaned last Thursday, we dropped in to have a little visit with Jocelyn's new class. She met with her teacher and classmates. They were ALL so excited to see and welcome her! Jocelyn really enjoyed being there too which gave me great comfort. The teacher and her assistant are super friendly and the classroom is so bright and cheery! It really helped going in there to see where she'd be hanging out away from home all day. 
 Monday was the day!! 
Her first day to preschool here in Germany!
I think she's going to have a hard time not being around her younger brothers all day. They have been fast friends for a few years now. She is super sweet to them and I know they'll miss her too! While we were outside waiting for the bus with her, Andrew said, "I'm not going to cry for you." But I know he will. He's so sweet in trying to stay strong - for her AND himself!
I sure did miss my buddy being gone all day at school! I loved her home with me! She's such a great little helper! This smile though??? I knew we were doing the right thing even though it's been somewhat a hard transition! She's a smart little girl! I know she'll fit right in and do great in school.
 As we were waiting for the bus to arrive, she was beaming ear to ear with excitement! When the bus rolled up, she gave me a quick kiss and hug and off she went! It's true! My little girl is growing up so fast! BOTH of my girls are! Two children are going to school now and two more to go.
 {Jocelyn sporting her new backpack!}

We waved her goodbye and throughout the day, I found myself getting a little teary eyed. I knew it was a good thing for us both but it was still a hard decision nonetheless! And throughout the day, I also found myself calling her name and realizing over and over again that she wasn't at home. :( 
 Before Jocelyn returned from school, Andrew and I thought it would be nice to have a treat waiting and ready. Today's pick was GUMMY BEARS! One of the kids favorites! She gave Andrew a huge hug and they walked like this back to the house. They are too cute for words!
 Mommy's little girl!
Her first day at school here was a success and she had a great time! She was one tired girl though! And the past few days, she whined in the mornings that she didn't want to go because she was too tired. The long schedule at school was still so new for her. I find a solution that worked. We would do an activity of her choice as soon as she returned home. Something she would look forward to doing like watching a movie or painting. Her teacher wrote me on her first day and said how amazing she did, how she met some new friends and joined in all the activities and was super smart! How happy they are to have her! Today she stayed home from school with the sniffles and a sore throat. The joys of being exposed to new germs! Here's to the next 5 weeks! :)

2 comments:

Megan said...

Okay the pictures of Jocelyn up close next to the boys... too cute. Glad she is having a good transition into school there! She'll do awesome--you have some smart kiddos! Love ya!

{Shields Family} said...

She LOVES school! Who would have thought - seeing that a year ago...she didn't talk to a soul the entire time. Guess growing up and having a different environment can help! :) Love ya too and we can't wait to see you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails