I spent this past week pureeing carrots (10 large carrots = about 3 cups), a head of cauliflower = about 3 cups, and 2 sweet potatoes = about 4 cups. I packaged them all in freezer zip locks in 1/2 cup measurements. Most of the recipes in Deceptively Delicious call for a 1/2 cup of puree so this is the measurement that I used for each zip lock. I saved out a zip lock bag of carrots this week to try and froze the rest and then made these Applesauce Muffins with carrot puree mixed in. I was impressed. They taste really good! As you can see from the photos, both Jocelyn and Aubrey were happy eaters with this recipe too. Jocelyn didn't really know what to think of at first because she's never had a muffin before but she dug in and enjoyed it. I was pleased to find out that one of these recipes so far has passed the test! (I also want to add that I spread a little remaining carrot puree from when I pureed the carrots (about 2 Tbsp) onto toasted cheese sandwiches before I grilled them and that also was a hit. They did notice the added orange color in their sandwich but the carrots only gave it a hit of sweetness to it and they kept right on eating.)
And here's a little preview of the puree process I completed. Last night I roasted the 2 sweet potatoes for an hour, threw them into the chopper and then the blender to puree (don't have a food processor - can usually get by with just the blender but the sweet potatoes were still a bit hard), and then once smooth and creamy, a 1/2 cup is then scooped into a freezer zip lock with a label of what veggie, how much and the date. Whala! One hour's work makes 3-4 cups of puree.












No comments:
Post a Comment