Monday, December 12, 2011

Meaning of Christmas

{The beautiful tree decorated in the church foyer smelledheavenly! I miss having a real tree for this reason alone!}

I felt true happiness today while being with my family at church! Mind you, I do naturally feel happy but today I felt even more so! Because our car is still in the shop, three of us rode to church with one friend and the other three rode with another friend. So when Jocelyn, Andrew and I arrived, John was sitting in the chapel with Landon and Aubrey was up front awaiting her first Sacrament talk. As we sang some Christmas hymns, it came to my attention that I had all that's near and dear to me right then at that very moment. My husband was by my side, my kids were snuggled up next to us coloring quietly and Aubrey was giving the sweetest talk on what Christmas means to her. I had it all right there in that very room: my family! And I felt even more humbled when I looked over to see John singing Christmas carols with me and the congregation. He doesn't like to openly sing. Or rather, he doesn't think he sounds that good. But he does and nothing sounded sweeter! I honestly didn't want that moment to end. Throughout the week, I have many moments of love with my children and husband but for some reason, I just really wanted to embrase this particular moment just a little bit more than I normally would have. I love the feeling of peace. That things were the way they should be: our family together!
{My boys!}

Thanksgiving and Christmas time happen to be my most favorite holidays to celebrate and be a part of. Not for the food or the gifts. But for the chance to think and reflect a bit more than I usually do throughout the other parts of the year. I'm reminded of all that we have and hold dear. That it's about remembering all that's important. That we shouldn't take life and people for granted. That we have much to be grateful for! And most importantly, the birth of Jesus Christ and all that He does and has done for us!

I thought it would be nice for those that couldn't be here to listen to Aubrey's talk to at least be able to read it. I also wanted to have it written down for keepsakes. And, well, because she's my first child and I'm so very proud of her! :) She did awesome and received lots of wonderful comments afterwards about how well she did.
The Importance of Christmas in my Life
by: Aubrey Shields

Good morning, Brothers and Sisters. A few weeks ago, I was asked to give a talk about the importance of Christmas in my life, and my first reaction was, "Wow! How lucky can I get to be assigned a talk the first day in Young Womens!" This is my first time giving a talk in Sacrament, and I am really excited about it, so hopefully it goes well.

About a week ago, my little sister comes up to me with a smile on her face and says, "I'm so excited for Christmas!" I ask her why and she says, "Presents!" as if it were obvious. I explained to her that Christmas isn't all about getting, it's about giving and helping others, so they can have a good Christmas too and to know that people care for them. When I thought she was on the verge of understanding, her eyes widened and said, "We don't get presents?!!" I said, "we do, but that's not what Christmas is all about." My little sister said back, "Oh! (I could tell she was relieved!)...I thought we wouldn't get presents." I tried telling her it wasn't all about getting things and it was about giving and the birth of Jesus Christ.

As I started to think about it, I thought of what would happen if there was no Christmas. A lot of things popped into my head. Christmas is the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. He atoned for our sins, and died for us on the cross. He ensured that we would be resurrected one day and that we would live again. After we talked, we made some cards for a few of our family members and I finally think the message settled in with my sister. During that time, I think I learned a little something as well. It reminded me that having presents is not what makes Christmas. We would still be very happy during Christmas without a little "Ho Ho Ho" from Santa Clause and presents under the Christmas tree. Sure, those things are fun, but being together as a family, coming together and sharing special times with one another is what makes almost everyone happy during Christmas.

Yesterday, during the ward Christmas party, I had so much fun with my family and I'm sure everyone else had fun as well. I liked the fact that everyone came together to prepare food, setup, clean...so everone would have an enjoyable time. Christmas is a time of year to celebrate and be happy with our family and friends. Things like the Christmas party are one of the ways we can feel the Spirit.

There is a lot to be thankful for the birth of Jesus Christ, and if He was never here, we would not be resurrected or any of these things. Christmas is a time to celebrate these gifts, and be with your loved ones. My Aunt, Uncle and baby Cousin are coming for Christmas so we can be together as a family and have a great time.

I would like to share my testimony with you that I know this church is true, and that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are watching over us and they're there for us. I love my family and I know they love me as well. I am thankful for Christmas and the Spirit and I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

2 comments:

Megan said...

That was awesome!! Congrats Aubrey on an excellent first talk! So wish I could of seen/heard you give it, but I guess the Internet will have to do for know! Hope you guys are having a great Christmas season! Miss you all!

{Shields Family} said...

Thanks, Megan! She really did give a great talk! We miss you! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails